Rhetorical Situation Discussion
by Yuanqing Wang
- Read the introductory section quickly, without pausing
- Read it a second time more carefully, noting points of clarity and confusion; identify language that tells you the subject of the essay
- Summarize in a sentence or two the article’s central idea
- What’s the language in Bitzer’s essay that tells you what the main point is?
- What questions do you have about the text? Does your lack of understanding of any aspect of the text prevent you from understanding the main idea?